The Library works from Tuesday to Saturday, from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Readers’ service hours are from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
The Library of the Mesrop Mashtots Institute of Ancient Manuscripts have been created based on the literary collection of the Matenadaran of Echmiadzin Cathedral. Originally, the institute had separate departments for printed books and press; in September of 2012, the two departments merged.
The main functions of the department include restocking, processing, registering, cataloguing, disposing on the bookstand, and serving. The restocking is happened through donations and purchases. We remember our donors with great gratitude, especially the “Calouste Gulbenkian” Foundation and the patrons who presented the Matenadaran with a rich library and plentiful funds. The Matenadaran would like to distinguish the personal funds of Sirarpie Der Nersessian, Ervand Ter Minasyan, Levon Khachikyan, Sen Arevshatyan, Avo Hovhannisyan, Suren Kolanjyan, Paruyr Muradyan, Alice Manoukian, Anahit Perikhanian, Vakhtang Gevorgian, etc.
The Matenadaran publishes a rich material in Armenian, Russian, and many European languages. The texts of the Armenian collection include a period of over 200 years. The geography of Matenadaran’s periodical press of Armenian funds is very wide, ranging from Europe and America to the Near and Middle East and India. A majority of the collection has been gathered from Constantinople, Smyrna, and Tbilisi. From Constantinople publications it can be mentioned “Byuzandion” (“Byzantium,” 1895-1918), “Arevelk” (“East,” 1884-1912), Smyrna’s “Arshaluys Araratyan” (“Ararat Sunrise,” 1840-1887), Van’s Mkrtich Khrimian’s (or Khrimian Hayrik’s) “Artzvi Vaspurakani” (“Eagle of Vaspurakan,” 1858-1864), Tbilisi’s “Ardzagank” (“Response,” 1882-1898), “Kovkas” (“Caucasus,” 1846-1847), “Mshak” (“Farmhand” 1872-1920), “Nor-Dar” (“New Century,” 1884-1908), and the “Horizon” (1909-1918) newspapers.
The press and printed book depositories are located on the first floor of the Matenadaran’s Scientific Research building.
Head of the Department Raya Blbulyan
Tel: (010) 51-30-30 Extension 1-37