On the occasion of the 650th anniversary of the foundation of the Armenian diocese in Lvov an exhibition “Polish Armenians: Manuscript Writing Traditions” was opened in Matenadaran on May 31, 2017, at 17:00.
In 1367 by the edict of King Casimir III the Great of Polish-Lithuanian union, Armenian Gregory bishop got the right to establish a diocese and to make the city of Lvov the residence of his newly created diocese. This edict is the oldest document in Poland’s history addressed to Armenians. 2017 marks the 650th anniversary of this edict. On this occasion, Matenadaran organized an exhibition dedicated to the manuscript heritage of the Armenian diocese of Polish-Lithuanian union.
The Matenadaran, along with the libraries in Vienna and the Mkhitaryan unity of Venice, is one of the three centers of the world where the greatest number of manuscripts related to Polish manuscript writing are preserved. There are about 130 such manuscripts in Matenadaran. They belong to the XIV-XVIII centuries and are distinguished by their rich content covering various aspects such as religion, philosophy, medicine and translation.
Professor Krzysztof Stopka, invited from Poland, is dealing with the study of the Armenian community of Poland for about 30 years. During the opening ceremony of the exhibition he presented the historical significance of the document and the Armenian community’s role in Poland’s history.
The Acting Director of Matenadaran Vahan Ter-Ghevondian awarded Professor Krzysztof Stopka the “Mesrop Mashtots” Medal for his contribution to the creation of the first journal of Armenian studies “Lehahayer” (“Polish Armenians”) in Poland as well as for his dynamic research-based cooperation with Matenadaran and the study of the Polish-Armenian community’s history.
The Ambassador of Poland to Armenia Jerzy Marek Nowakowski thanked the Matenadaran’s administration and Ph.D. Piruz Mnatsakanyan for organizing the exhibition and handed the copy of that edict, which originated the Armenian-Polish relations.